Thursday, September 3, 2009

Why was my child barred from a Highly Gifted Center?

On 8/26/2009 6:20 PM, Mr. Creel wrote to me, stating, among other things, “I believe [my child’s name] is an academically gifted child and hope you will work with MCPS to find the best match for her gifts,” adding “If your goal is to enroll [my daughter’s name] in [middle school] or at one of the Highly Gifted Centers, you must begin with registering her for [her former elementary school].”

I wrote back at 11:53PM, “Given that she has completed a bona fide, state approved 5th grade program, and demonstrated through math testing at CJMS, that her level of accomplishment in math was higher than MCPS standards (she completed 7th grade math certification and received a Math IM recommendation based on MCPS testing), the presumption is that her accomplishments in all other subjects meet or exceed MCPS standards. This presumption is bolstered by the fact that in 2nd grade she outperformed most 5th graders at [her ES] on her Map-R. If that wasn’t sufficient evidence for you, she took the third grade MSAs in second grade and outperformed MCPS norms in BOTH math and reading. The insistence that I "... must begin with registering her for [her elementary school],” is a purely arbitrary demand, unsupported by policy or regulation.”

Through Dr. Smith’s kind intervention, a “placement” was offered, and MCPS offered to “test” my child for placement at a Highly Gifted Center. I had foreseen this offer, and had the MCPS test administered to my child. On September 1, in a flurry of emails and one fax, the results were communicated.

My child’s scores was among the top eleven scorers at MCPS who were admitted to the HG program.

On 9/1/2009 at 12:33 PM, without explanation, MCPS requested my child take an unnamed test. At 12:49PM, I wrote to Dr. Weast, “MCPS has kept my child out of school for two days and this delay must end. Please forgive my lack of patience with this endless series of hurdles.” At 4:36PM, I wrote that “MCPS was once again unable to explain the need to administer another "test,” or, for that matter, describe the nature of the test. I added, “I am reluctantly forced to conclude that once again MCPS is playing games with my child’s education.”

At 5:54PM, Dr. Weast was emailed “I want you to explain to me how you can justify demanding my child be tested after submitting her to the stress, harassment, humiliation and threats.” No educator would recommend a child be subjected to stress, humiliation, and then administer an unnamed "test." If it was a bona fide test, why the secrecy?

No answer. No description of the test.

At 4:36PM I emailed the middle school and Dr. Weast, “I am confirming that Marty Creel and MCPS have once again reneged on their offer without explanation, and kept my daughter out of public school, in violation of state law. They have forced me to accept an option that you have described as LESS THAN THE "the best" option.”

I pleaded with Dr. Smith, stating “Please don’t support the continuing harm that is being done to my child by Mr. Creel and others.”

At 10:31 PM, on 9/1/2009, Dr. Smith courageously and warmly accepted my child into middle school.

To those who have traveled this path before, I can only say that I now have the capacity to understand and empathize. To Dr. Weast, I say this with absolute conviction: never, sir, never will I stand idly by and let this happen to any child. I mean never.

8 comments:

  1. Who informed you that your child was among the top 11 scorers on the GT test? I'm not doubting you at all, just curious about this additional piece of information slipping out about the HGC test range. As you know, when MCPS accepts kids for the HGC, the acceptance letter includes the child's individual score on the HGC entrance exams and the mean of the students accepted into the program. Rejection letters include the same data. MCPS reveals no information about the range of the test scores. I personally believe that MCPS uses this to psychologically pressure parents whose children have scored below the mean to not press for seat at the HGC, even when their child's score might be within the range of scores of accepted students on one or more parameters. Of course, logically and mathematically speaking, there must be a good number of students accepted to the HGC with scores below the mean in one or more parameters. Limiting the number of appeals and data on which to base the appeals is one way that MCPS is able to evade the appearance that there are more GT children than seats to serve them appropriately. I hope, as you consider detailing more of your story, that you consider revealing your daughter's score on this exam and the name of the personnel who obviously have full access to the data on the range and individual scores. Doing so would further pull back the curtain on this testing regime. BTW, congrats on achieving the placement you believe was best for your child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, excellent points, Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my experience, on request, MCPS staff provided scores for my children's test results. I received scores for my children at both the elementary school and high school level. And for those kids who are outliers in test scores, MCPS will provide an answer to "how many kids are similarly situated" so parents can evaluate whether a peer group or grade skip placement is suitable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnet Mom is absolutely correct. Federal law, FERPA, provides for a parent of a minor to request, and then obtain certain records pertaining to their child. Any and all data that I have used in my analysis was obtained from MCPS via FERPA or MPIA request.

    With regard to revealing my child's scores, I can only state that she has sacrificed a remarkable amount of privacy. I have not seen anyone step up to the plate and reveal anything on the scale I have done, and I must draw the line somewhere.

    It is somewhat unfair for folks resorting to pseudonyms to ask for me to simply forgo any semblance of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir you need to calm down. You don't realize it but you are placing your child on a super highway at an unreasonable speed. When the child is sixteen years old he/she is going to be miserable and its going to be because of you. Let the kid be a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous II said...

    To the previous poster - you must not have a profoundly gifted child to post what you just posted. That 16 yr old will be thanking her parents that they didn't make her sit through stuff she already knew and wasted her time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another option, but at an additional cost, is for the child to be enrolled in a JHU/CTY-like remote distance learning course or two (if he/she really really feels unchallenged). The sky's the limit as far as offerings that will keep the student busy. Maybe an arrangement can be made to actually work on the distance-learning coursework during the appropriate class period. This will at least keep the child among his/her peers in some classes where acceleration is not so critical, also act as a mentor to their classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Singman, you are to be congradulated for your courage. Trying to get information, help or responses from MCPS is like trying to push spaghetti uphill. I know what you went through because I have a problem with MCPS and they won't respond.
    Seneca Eagle

    ReplyDelete

If your comment does not appear in 24 hours, please send your comment directly to our e-mail address:
parentscoalitionmc AT outlook.com