- School attendance goes up.
- Tardiness decreases.
- They sleep less in class.
- They get in fewer traffic accidents.
- They visit nurses and counselors less often.
- They report less depression and irritability.
Thursday, October 18, 2012
Research has shown that when teens get the required 8.5 to 9 hours of sleep:
Starting school before 8:15 a.m. like we do in Montgomery County without a doubt undermines optimal academic achievement.
That's why I created a petition on SignOn.org to Joshua Starr, Montgomery County's superintendent of schools, which says:
We respectfully request that our school board officially recognize the large and compelling body of research regarding adolescent sleep and academic achievement, and, with a resolution, set a goal to start high schools in Montgomery County after 8:15 a.m.