MCPS wants to buy only the Promethean brand of board and to utilize the Promethean World, LLC partners Cicso and Dell for the procurement. No contracts or supporting documentation have been made public by MCPS.
At the end of the public hearing (minute 22 of video), Montgomery County Councilmember George Leventhal made the following statement:
1. Was this contract competitively bid?
2. Is the supplier reliable in the long term?
3. Are we making a major financial commitment to a company that is financially shaky?
4. Are local companies having the opportunity to bid on this contract?
5. The way that this rebate situation is structured, is it less favorable to the taxpayers and more favorable to the school system?
6. Are we appropriating, in effect, money to the school's budget above and beyond the reasonably generous budget they already got?
The County Executive himself in his letter to the Council, in his transmittal letter identifies this concern about the financial viability of the supplier. Larry Bowers memo does not address that concern. And, I know we are all working very hard. I'm not casting blame on anyone, but neither does Essie McGuire's material for this public hearing address that concern. So, these concerns that have been raised by my constituents are questions that I would like to have answered to. I don't seek to get them in this meeting, but I would hope that we would have the chance to review them when this comes to the full Council.