Sunday, March 19, 2017

High schooler blocked from playing basketball because of her hijab

At Watkins Mills HS in Gaithersburg, story from reporter Megan Friedman. Watkins Mills, according to their website, is "An International Baccalaureate World School."

Je'Nan Hayes, a junior at Watkins Mill High School in Maryland, had played an entire season of basketball for her high school—until March 3. That's when she was blocked from playing, all because she was wearing a hijab.

And:

"I felt discriminated against and I didn't feel good at all," she told the newspaper. "If it was some reason like my shirt wasn't the right color or whatever, then I'd be like, 'okay.' But because of my religion it took it to a whole different level, and I just felt that it was not right at all."

Full story here.

2 comments:

  1. Actually she was blocked for not filling out the required form. Athletics has rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it cause player confusion on the basketball court?

    ReplyDelete

If your comment does not appear in 24 hours, please send your comment directly to our e-mail address:
parentscoalitionmc AT outlook.com