|"Derek G. Turner" |
MCPS Board of Education
Councilmember Navarro's Office
While some very good work has been started on this issue, there remains a great deal to be done. Due to secrecy, obfuscation and an unwillingness to follow the law, the public is once again left to guess at what MCPS is, or in many cases is not, doing to protect our children. Based on my twenty two years of work in this field I can assure you, when people and systems have to guess what is being done, children will continue to be abused.
- Will you direct your employees to swiftly finish the work they have told me was almost done in August of 2015?
- Will you investigate why (despite a recent arrest of staff who used social media to groom and assault a teen girl) your staff has still not prioritized much less completed the employee social media guidelines?
- Will you direct your staff to complete the work necessary to fully implement the new policy and procedures put in place last year regarding abuse and neglect?
- Will you have your staff close the loopholes and correct the errors in the policy and regulations which were implemented last year?
- Will you direct your staff to issue one, comprehensive report detailing all aspects of the implementation of the new policy and regulations; or, is it acceptable to you to have quarterly reports (each focusing on small parts of but never the whole) spread out so there is no complete annual report on what has actually been done over the past year?
- Will you direct your staff to comply with MPIA laws and release documents regarding the sexual harassment policy and it's implementation?
- Will you require your staff to comply with multiple MPIA requests to provide an accurate list of MCPS employees who are tasked with implementing and monitoring this complex task?
- Will you tell parents how it is acceptable for your staff (representing you at the policy management committee meeting with BOE members on 9/20/16), when asked to discuss the child abuse policy, to state "we are not here to talk about the policy"?