Saturday, March 13, 2021

Opinion: I chose to go back to school on a hybrid schedule. My first day back was miserable.


Henry Smith is a senior at Justice High School in Falls Church, Va.

In elementary school, at the slightest forecast of snow, I would observe the superstitious rituals of flushing an ice cube down the toilet and wearing my pajamas inside out, dreaming of a massive storm canceling school for the whole year. Now, after a year without going into my high school, I realize it’s nothing to dream about. It’s just depressing.

Last fall, when students in my Virginia district were asked to decide whether they would return to the classroom when schools eventually reopened, the decision was an easy one for me. Those with last names beginning with A through L would attend on Tuesdays and Wednesdays; M through Z on Thursdays and Fridays. Eager to return to “normal,” I chose to go back to in-person learning when the time came. I wanted to spend at least part of my senior year with some friendly, familiar faces...


https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/if-this-version-of-in-person-school-is-normal-let-me-out/2021/03/12/b6968e78-81f6-11eb-9ca6-54e187ee4939_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment does not appear in 24 hours, please send your comment directly to our e-mail address:
parentscoalitionmc AT outlook.com