Monday, June 21, 2010

Weast "I’ve been a proponent of charter schools" (Really??)

The "More" Child
Let’s Talk About Choice
June 19, 2010 by SwitchedOnMom
In the reportage following the rejection of the Global Garden Public Charter School, the comment that leapt out to me was one made by Superintendent Jerry Weast on the issue of “choice.” 
...Show me a news story, press release, memo, letter, speech, comment in the media, board minutes, anything, that shows Jerry Weast forthrightly supporting a KIPP charter school in the county.  Show me one example of him exerting his considerable national starpower and local arm-twisting clout to make known his desire for a charter school to happen in MoCo, let alone initiating a concrete step.  Please.  Because I have done The Google and there’s nothing there.  If he really wanted it to get done, we would have heard about it, no?
...What really grabbed me was the claim that the presence of 150 private schools in the county constitutes “choice,” as do all the “thematic choices” of MCPS’s 200 schools.  I heard that and thought, “Did he [Weast] really just say that?”
Read the full blog post here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment does not appear in 24 hours, please send your comment directly to our e-mail address:
parentscoalitionmc AT outlook.com